Our Family

Our Family

Wednesday, December 7, 2011

In the Spirit of Norway...

Andrew has been reading so much lately. I'm so thankful that we decided to go with Sonlight curriculum this year. Sonlight is a heavily reading based curriculum where children learn through reading both fiction and nonfiction books. This is perfect for my little reader who reads several chapter books daily.

Anywhoo...Andrew finished reading a very thick chapter book about Norway yesterday on the way to our PE class so instead of going home to do more work, I thought...why not just go to Norway to let Andrew see the Epcot version and experience some of the things the books discussed in person. What better way to bring the book to life?! So instead of just heading home, I took the kids straight to Epcot. Andrew, who already had his head buried in another book, didn't notice where we were headed until we were nearly there. He was so excited!

Our trip took a turn for the better when we also discovered that my little fast growing girl was already 40 inches the exact height you need to be in order to ride 2 of the best rides at Epcot. Elizabeth, my little dare devil child who is brave beyond her years, was able to ride Soarin and Test Track (of which I got on video). She loved both rides - not surprising since she is also the same child who dragged me on the Dragon ride at Legoland last week. While I was begging to go home and jump off the ride, she calmly smiled at me and gently encouraged me by saying, "Mommy, you are not going to barf and I am not going to barf. It's going to be alright." She is just the sweetest!

We ended up spending much of the day at Epcot listening to the way Christmas is celebrated around the world as we hopped from country to country. They had life like characters from each country sharing details of their Christmas season. We will now be leaving our shoes out by the front door in hopes that the 3 Wise Men will leave gifts as they pass our door in search of the baby Jesus on Jan. 6. I had no idea Mexico celebrated 3 Kings day. Very interesting stuff!

No comments:

Post a Comment