Our Family

Our Family

Wednesday, November 30, 2011

Piano Recital

Andrew has been taking piano lessons since we moved to Florida so...about a year and a half now. He's very talented, and he really enjoys it. My parents gave me their piano when we moved to Orlando, and I love hearing Andrew play on the same piano I use to use when I was a big older than him. It could use a little tune up, but for the most part, that piano has stayed in tune even through the move. Ahh...and as I type the young Beethoven just sat down to play some Christmas songs...smile!

Last night he had his second piano recital. Oh was he nervous. He practiced his recital song over and over until he had perfected Go Tell It on the Mountain which is what he chose to play. However, he remembered how nervous he was last year at his first recital...so nervous that he wore his pants backwards and forgot how to play Up on the Housetop until I gave him the music to read. Last year, he was persistent, and everyone told us what a brave, persistent little man we had.

This year, it was only fitting that he nearly wore his pants backwards...again. I helped him get straightened out before we left this time though. We didn't arrive very early so he wouldn't be sitting there letting his nerves get the best of him, and we found that he was #2 to play his song...big sigh of relief.

When it was his turn, he went straight up to the piano, took his time getting situated, and then he played Go Tell It on the Mountain from memory beautifully! My favorite part wasn't the song (although he did a great job). After he played, he stood up and smiled his great big adorable, melting Andrew smile that only he can smile. In that smile, you could see all the way down to his big heart, and I know I wasn't the only one moved by this smile. He stood there with such joy and pride in his accomplishment, and boy was I proud to be his momma! That boy is a rare gem, and I know God has big things in store for that little boy.

He was so glad to play at the beginning and get it out of the way so he could sit and enjoy all of the other songs.

After the recital was over, we enjoyed a bunch of different Christmas treats we had all taken to share. Our treat was delicious, but you can't go wrong with chocolate covered pretzels with a peppermint Andes candy type crushed topping...delicious!

We went to a very late dinner to celebrate b/c it was Taco Tuesday after all...and on the way there, Andrew interrupted Mat and I in a deep conversation to say, "I rushed my song a little bit, and I took a deep breath while I was sitting up there and said to myself, slow down." Then he apologized for interrupting me and Mat talking. Mat and I were blown away. In that little comment, he shared that he was looking at a way to improve on his past accomplishments. He was mindful that he can always do better even though he recognized that he already did a great job. I don't know if you can understand that, but more than playing his song well, more than just doing what it took to get by, he wants to find a way to make himself better than he already is. He has such a great attitude, and I'm so proud of him.

Mat said Andrew's speech was in true Hathaway style, and I agree. I'll try to post pics of his recital, and get them up here when I get a chance. He looked adorable...even though his sleeves and pants are a bit short. We had a very difficult time trying to find clothes in his wardrobe that actually FIT. That boy grows too fast. I need to go get him at least one nice outfit that will fit him, but hey, at least his pants weren't backwards!

No comments:

Post a Comment