Our Family

Our Family

Thursday, October 20, 2011

Cupping

I got a back injury during our car accident a few months back, and since then, I've been under the care of an orthopedic doc who has kept me in physical therapy for several months. I believe I'm finally starting to feel some relief, but there are still 2 quite "sticky" sore spots.

Before I jump into the rest of this explanation, I need you to know that my physical therapy is NORMAL, and I've been to a few different physical therapy places. I think I've had some pretty great healing experiences, tried some good old tried and true techniques which are just a series of target exercised to promote flexibility and strength into the injured areas.

But today was different. I had my sticking spot sticking a little more than usual though it always sticks. So a couple of the physical therapists starting discussing any treatment that would give me relief. And they came up with ONE that they had not yet tried.

Cupping. It's an ancient Asian treatment that involves suction cups. It doesn't hurt at all, but it leaves you with giant circular hickies for lack of a better description. They explained the process to me, showed me pictures of it being done to another patient, and asked my permission to try this method on me. I read further that a celebrity just had it done, and you can read further or see pics/video footage of it here:

http://www.mindbodysoul.tv/health/cupping.html

All I can say is WOW! Why haven't they tried this before? and Where can I buy suction cups like this? The therapists were super excited that I agreed to this therapy b/c it's fun to watch and see the results, and the results are AMAZING. I feel no pain or stick in the part where they treated me today. Yes, there are a couple large red circles on my back, but I don't care b/c the relief exceeds the strange looking circles.

Don't knock it til you've tried it! The only negative feedback I have is that where you get the procedure done makes your back feel so good that you start to feel the other little tight spots and just want more!

So I end this by saying if you ever get the opportunity to be CUPPED - GO FOR IT! You will love it!

1 comment:

  1. Wow! I'm just getting caught up on your awesome family and didn't realize I was going to learn something new! I have never heard of cupping, but it sounds awesome and I want to know more! Going to look up how it works now! Lol

    ReplyDelete