Our Family

Our Family

Tuesday, June 4, 2013

The Busiest Days of my Life










I have a dear friend, a friend that I admire and often seek advice from.  I'm sure she doesn't know how much I admire her, although I tell her as often I can.  Unfortunately, this friend lives in Florida, and right now I miss her so much.  I've been thinking of her a lot during this season of life.  She told me when my kids were little that life would get busier each year.  I couldn't imagine what she told me would be true b/c she said this 3 years ago.

Three years ago, I had a 1.5 year old and a 5.5 year old.  After being apart from my husband for months and getting our home on the market alone, I had just moved to a new city.  My husband had a new job, I was looking for a new set of friends and a community to call home, and I was struggling to manage my very active highly verbal son while making new friends, and I was changing diapers and taking care of a tiny toddler.  I was also just starting out on my homeschooling journey (one that I fled from for fear of damaging my son educationally while knowing fully that it was best for him).  I was on the brink of an emotional and physical meltdown, and here she was saying this was nothing.  I should really relay that she said it in love and kindness...and probably much out of fatigue herself knowing that she had wished someone would have warned her about the future with two children herself.  I sat there wondering what she meant..."how on earth could life get more busy."  She wasn't saying that life would always be so hard, but she did know that life with children would just keep getting busier.

I've been thinking about her comment for weeks now as somehow each day gets more filled than the day before.  I don't think I'm over-committing myself.  I don't think the kids are involved in too many activities (I try to limit them to one activity a piece besides music lessons - and the music teacher comes to us).  I don't know how these days get so full.  I realize that I homeschool two children, and I think the stress of making sure that I keep school as well as household things afloat adds a lot to how busy I feel.  Truly, my kids are wonderful and these are the best days I've ever had.  Now, if I could just freeze time.

And if any of you are experienced mommas - especially homeschool momma's and have some advice to share about time management, please send me a note.  I always love to hear how others are managing through these busy years, and it is nice to have some other ideas that I may not have considered.

No comments:

Post a Comment