Our Family

Our Family

Tuesday, August 23, 2011

God is Bigger


We received bad news yesterday. Our house was appraised $23K less than what we needed to break even on the sale of our Dacula house. We are disappointed, angry, and sad. For whatever reason, I feel embarrassed to share this news, but I feel that there are so many of our friends who have been praying for us. We owe it to you all to share what is happening as a result of your prayers.

I feel like I need to justify that we did things the right way. We didn't buy out of our means, and we even payed over the monthly minimum house payment each month. We follow the Dave Ramsey plan - although we could have done a much better job. We made the mistake of putting our plan on hold through the move, through the accident, and through all the things that arose in between the two events.

I know there are gonna be some of you who judge us. Some of you will take this info and share it as a source of gossip or spite. But I hope you take this away in your heart:

(yes, sing the tune from the popular Veggie Tales song)
God is bigger than the boogie man.
He's bigger than our finances or all of our future plans.

I am a planner by nature. I get more excited about planning a vacation than the actual trip itself. I love to set goals and watch as they are met. This plan of owning a house in Dacula indefinitely is NOT my plan. My plan includes a successful financial future for myself and my family. It doesn't include the additional $1200 in monthly expenses of the $800 that it took to fix the a/c in a house that we don't live in and can't sell. It certainly didn't include a bus accident or (and yes, I'm going to mention this) losing money on an unsuccessful business in Georgia or the bad relationships that arose out of that situation. And they certainly didn't include being estranged from my family in Lilburn to the point that we don't ever speak. None of those things were in MY plan. But they were in God's plan.

I know that God has plans for me, for my family, and for our future. Often, what I think is best isn't the BEST that God has in store for me. I have seen that over and over again with the most recent testament being that we didn't get the house in Orlando that we wanted and now it's in foreclosure (some of you have seen that story on Facebook). And God has provided for our every single little teensy weensy need along each step of the way. I have stories and stories to share of his provision and the good that came out of waiting for God's best.

That doesn't mean that I'm not upset about the house. I am upset along with a slew of other feelings that come with the disappointment of not being able to sell the house. I guess there could still be a miracle. And just so you know, we are likely going to do research into renting out the house. We'll see what God's plan is. And we will wait with the Joy that we can find through Christ Jesus.

5 comments:

  1. Thanks for being so transparent Genny. I understand the frustration and embarrassment when things don't go as planned. Praying for peace and God's best plan to shine forth in your situations.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This past Sunday our pastor preached part of his message on how being frank with God and pouring out our frustrations on Him is exactly what He wants (swear words and all) As our pastor said, "God can take it!" It is a reflection of a truly close and personal relationship with our Creator that you can lay it all out there and trust that He will not get offended and can completely comfort you as no one else can. Getting things out is totally the healthiest way to be. Three cheers for an honest heart!

    I am sure you have heard it but just play the Laura Story song Blessings over and over when you need a good cry or strength and inspiration. It does it for me everytime! I listed it on our group site under worship songs for easy access at all times. <3

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Genny,
    So sorry to hear that you are in such a predicament with your Dacula house...I am sure it is frustrating! I don't have any "new" advice to give you. I just know that God isn't surprised by all of this, and that you can trust Him! It is just so hard sometimes when we are in the midst of the circumstances to just rest in his hands.
    Thanks for sharing!
    Hope you are all doing well--we are enjoying little Gavin Ready--7weeks old this last Friday--pretty soon we won't be counting in weeks any more!

    Love ya,
    Kathy

    ReplyDelete
  4. Genny,

    I love you. I love your honesty. I love your transparency. God is going to honor y'all for this. I think you both are really wise with finances and conservative and this all really is coming about because of series of uncontrollable outside unfortunateness.

    The good news is it happens to all of us, and even in the debt out our ears, bills we can't pay, accounts in the negatives, marriages in shambles, kids acting naughty, a business that's vaporized--- there He is--- GOD.

    [that was my story by the way ; ) ha ha]

    Redemption, Reconciliation, Restoration.

    Genny, Get ready. It's coming. It's gotten bad before it's gotten better.

    Keep loving Jesus, being that awesome wife and mommy and God's going to let lines fall on pleasant places for you [psalm 16:6]!

    I'm a testimony. So will you be!

    Jesus you're king over their house and their money! Lead them in wisdom, love, and peace.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Genny, I so appreciate your wisdom,insight,and pain that you have shared. I have goose bumps just reading your story. My dear sweet girl, God does have a plan. I remember when I was going through so much unhappiness and I didn't have God in my life. I was lost and felt condemned to unhappiness. Little did I know he was always there and as the years have passed I have seen the wisdom behind the decisions he made for me and how I disappointed our lord and still do by my flesh and my own will. However he has always provided and sustained me and my family through good times and rocky roads. know this, you are not alone and that you have a family that loves you. I feel your hurt over your blood family but there is a reason for this also. I pray for recovery of that situation every day. May the lord bless and keep you. May he shine his face on you and your family and give you peace. I love all of you

    ReplyDelete