Our Family

Our Family

Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Cheese

We are in our 3rd week of 1st grade. I'm using Sonlight this year in addition to A Beka, Classical Conversations, and Singapore Math. We have had a lot of fun.

Yesterday was a super fun day. Andrew and I learned about the various foods in other countries. There was even a recipe for "lassi" an Indian specialty drink so we made it...and enjoyed it. I found out from a friend from In Touch Ministries who heard we were making lassi drinks when I posted it on Facebook that yesterday was the 65th Anniversary of India's independence from English rule. It was very fitting that we had lassi drinks in honor of India's Independence Day! She also gave me her favorite lassi drink recipe which we plan to make soon. I love how Facebook connected my friend to the lesson I was teaching Andrew - and we learned more as a result. I also love that I have friends from all over the world!

That night, we planned a cheese party. We wanted to taste cheese from all over the world so we got the idea to just go to the Publix deli. Our plan was to purchase like 2 slices of several different cheeses from different countries and have a little cheese sampling party at home later. However, when Wanda from the deli department of Publix found out what we were doing, she got excited and allowed us to sample SEVERAL different kinds of cheeses from all over the world for FREE! It was so much fun! Andrew and Mat loved the Gruyere from Germany (a very smokey bacon flavored cheese in my opinion), and I loved the Boar's Head Baby Swiss so we bought some of each and had them on our sandwiches last night for dinner. Andrew also loved the black cheddar from New York. We also bought some cheese like Brie from France, authentic Mozzarella from Italy, and Feta from Greece which we haven't yet had the chance to taste b/c it got late on us.

What a fun experience that I would highly recommend to try - even if you don't homeschool. The children thoroughly enjoyed it as did the adults!

No comments:

Post a Comment