Our Family

Our Family

Thursday, June 23, 2011

Progress and Healing

It's been nearly 4 weeks since our car accident. I can honestly say that it's been the busiest time in my life, and I'm ready for a breather. While that won't happen for a while, I can tell ya that Mat had a great report from the surgeon yesterday. The wound is healing nicely. He is able to start walking a bit though he has to use a walker, and he only has to have the dressing changed once instead of twice daily. Currently, a nurse is coming over twice daily to help with that, but tomorrow Mat is going to learn how to change the dressing himself - and it's totally disgusting! The surgeon believes it will take 4 weeks for the wound to heal completely. We meet with the infectious disease doc next week, and then we'll go from there. In the meantime, Mat has to lay low and recover, but he is working from home.

Elizabeth and I also had follow up appts from the accident last week. Lizzy seems fine, but the doc isn't ready to dismiss her yet. We have been instructed to watch specific things, and we go back to the ped ortho doc in 2 weeks to get her rechecked.

I start physical therapy Friday - 3 times a week for a month. I have been sent to a neurological doc for tremors I've had since the accident, I have to get further blood work, and I will likely have to get an MRI - will be assessed during PT. I'm not gonna lie, my hip is hurting and my neck doesn't feel too hot either. I've been taking muscle relaxers, anti inflammatory meds, and I got a sweet painful shot right in the sore spot.

Our highlander is at the body shop being repaired this week. I have a rental (I'm getting spoiled with a mini van for the week), and they hope to have the car ready by Monday. When I dropped the car off, Andrew was with me, and the manager of the body shop knew Andrew and Mat so he was taking extra good care of us. The car should look like new when we get it back! We have this great body shop that posts pics of the progress on-line so we can see the repairs step by step.

It makes me tired to even think of all the doc appts and arrangements I will need to make over the next month, but I am so thankful that everyone is alive, home and really well off after all the insanity lately. I'm ready for some boring days :)

Thank you all for your prayers, for all the meals, the encouragement etc. I haven't had to think of planning meals since last week, and it's been such a blessing!

No comments:

Post a Comment